The Hidden Jewel In Nigeria: Discover The City Of Jebba

Jebba which means “water is flowing here” is a city divided between two states: Kwara and Niger. Northern Jebba is regarded as the historical and ancient Jebba. But the city is hardly regarded as a popular tourist destination in Nigeria.

Upon arriving at the bank of River Niger in ancient Jebba North, we met little kids diving and having the best of times. The river provides for most needs: a form of transportation, a bath, and a source of food and water.

The majority of people in the city are Nupes and very friendly. After agreeing to a picture, some girls left the river for school, an afternoon session at Mungo Park Secondary school.

Mungo Park, a Scottish explorer and the first westerner to travel to the midpoint of River Niger, died after his ship was wrecked on the river while trying to escape a hostile attack from the natives. Park always travelled with natives to aid his navigation. We listened to stories from Aliyu, a native of a village called Gungun (a word for island in Hausa), who helped us rediscover what Park found in 1868.

Gungun Village lies near a hydropower station, one of the three in Nigeria, which provides 24-hour electricity to the village, according to our guide.

To see the Juju Rock Formation, we moved to another village called Mazhi which was much closer to the rock. Mazhi was named after the Hausa man who first relocated there in 1968.

We got on the boat and, once on the river paddling with the current and feeling the breeze, the heat became more tolerable. Aliyu mentioned that hippos frequent the water and how local hunters, due to frequent attacks, killed one in 2015 with the permission of the government. With a blue sky, canoes, hills and clear water making a beautiful composition, the scene was like one in a James Bond film.

Source: Guardian Life

Editor

Blogger, Writer and Photographer per excellence.

8 thoughts on “The Hidden Jewel In Nigeria: Discover The City Of Jebba

• September 9, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and exposure! Keep up the amazing works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.

• December 21, 2019 at 12:00 pm

I got what you mean , appreciate it for putting up.Woh I am happy to find this website through google. “Don’t be afraid of opposition. Remember, a kite rises against not with the wind.” by Hamilton Mabie.

• December 31, 2019 at 5:05 pm

You completed some nice points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found the majority of folks will go along with with your blog.

• January 3, 2020 at 9:43 am

I would like to express appreciation to this writer for rescuing me from this type of setting. As a result of browsing through the search engines and obtaining basics which were not powerful, I believed my life was gone. Existing without the presence of approaches to the issues you’ve fixed by means of this guide is a critical case, and those which could have negatively affected my career if I hadn’t noticed your site. Your expertise and kindness in dealing with all the pieces was precious. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t come upon such a solution like this. I’m able to at this time look ahead to my future. Thanks for your time so much for this reliable and sensible guide. I won’t hesitate to endorse your web blog to any person who needs tips on this matter.

• January 12, 2020 at 12:36 pm

Thanks, I’ve recently been searching for information about this subject for a while and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered till now. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you certain in regards to the supply?